I love Parkrun. As a runner, a coach, a volunteer or even just a facebook follower, Parkrun works. I would go as far as saying Parkrun the best thing to happen to running in Ireland in the last year.
People think because I am a running coach I have endless motivation to get up and run each morning. It is SO NOT TRUE. I am the same as the rest of you. I make excuses and I invent chores to put off my run. I am an expert at talking myself out of running. Even when I do manage to go for a run , I am too nice to myself; I run at a comfortable pace, I take shortcuts, I avoid hills. I somehow just cant get myself to push out a fast (well fast for me) 5k on my own.
But Parkrun does all the hard work for me:
1. It gets me up out of bed and at a start line at 9.30am. No excuses.
2. I can arrive at 9.15am, jog to startline and get going. No hanging about.
2. I will always push myself more in a parkrun than on my own.
3. It has an addicitive quality of making me want to beat my own parkrun PB
4. It is social, welcoming, and relaxed – and most of all FREE!
5. It is always followed by a reward – a cuppa, a scone and a chat with other runners
6. Its the same run each week, so I compare my times week on week.
7. On the days I dont feel like running, I can volunteer and still be part of it all.
8. Best of all, It gives me that lovely post run feeling at 10am on a Saturday morning that sets me up for a great weekend.
Here are my Top Parkrun Memories of the year gone by…
Parkrun has managed to build a welcoming Saturday morning community for runners, joggers and plodders of all levels. This Saturday 9th Nov it celebrates its first birthday in the Republic of Ireland at Malahide Parkrun. Come along and see for yourself.
There are rumours of birthday cake too.. if that will help get you up and out!
Thank you Parkrun – to all the organisers and volunteers – its been a super Parkrun Year. Roll on the next one.
There are now Parkruns in Marlay Park, Griffeen Park Lucan, Westport, St Annes Park Raheny and Macroom in Cork. I wonder how many there will be this time next year! If you register once, you can take part in any of these runs, and even the parkruns in NI and further afield.
What are your favouite Parkrun memories ?