Where will your running take you this summer ?
It’s time to start thinking about your summer of running. You know how quickly the weeks go by, so now is the time to plan what you want to do this summer, and then decide how to get there. Here are 5 Simple Steps to make 2014 your best summer of running yet…
Step 1: Decide what you are going to aim for :
If you dont have a goal, then how do you know what you should be doing?
Here are some ideas for a running goal this summer
- All Summer : Parkruns – Go from beginners to 5k
- All Summer : Improve your 5k – Get Stronger and Faster
- June Bank Hol : Dublin Flora Womens Mini Marathon
- June Bank Hol : Cork Relay, Half Marathon and Marathon
- June – Sept : Dublin Race Series – 5 Mile June, 10k July, 10 Mile Aug
- June : Waterford Quarter Marathon and Half Marathon
- July : Clontarf 5 Mile and Half Marathon (5th)
- August : Great Pink Run – End of August 5k and 10k
- August : Dun Laoghaire Bay 10k (Bank Hol Monday)
- August : Dublin Rock and Roll Half Marathon (Bank Hol Monday)
- September : Dublin Half Marathon (20th)
- October : The big one, Dublin Marathon (Bank Hol Monday)
A goal doesn’t have to be a race, there are lots of other options
- Aim to run 3 times per week
- Improve Running Technique – Take time to learn to run efficiently
- Have Fun with running – travel somewhere new to run
- Join a club or group to make running more fun
- Escape the threadmill and run outdoors while the weather good
Step 2 : Work out what you need to do to get there ?
You need a plan that fits in with your lifestyle and summer schedule if you are going to get to your goal. Otherwise, the time will just disappear. Get your training plan for the summer on 1 sheet of paper so you can visualise whats ahead for you. Be sure to pick a goal that is reasonable for you but also challenging enough to keep you motivated to train. (If you need help with planning and goal setting, schedule a private session with Mary or check out our summer workshops). Everyone who comes to our classes will get a training plan to help them get to their goal.
Step 3 : Get Started
Decide how you will train – alone, with a friend or with a group. Make the commitment to get out the door, even on the nights when you dont feel like it. The hardest step is to get started. Go for it -if not now, when !
Step 4 : Keep Motivated and on Track
If you struggle to train alone, get yourself a running buddy to keep you on track. It has been widely proven that training with someone else will greatly increase your chances of getting out there, and achieving your goals. If you dont have a running buddy, let us be your buddy. Come along to our Summer Running Classes in Docklands, Clontarf and Sandymount. Anyone training for longer runs can join our Facebook groups to arrange meetups with other students to have company on long runs. Be sure to keep track of your progress too.
Bonus Extras : All attendees of Summer Classes, Workshops and Programmes are invited to join us for 2 weeks of FREE Runs and Events at the end of July.
Step 5 : Success and Celebration
Success will only happen if you make the time now to organise yourself for the summer. The more you put into your training, the more you will be able to enjoy the event and feel the achievement.
Need support along the way ?
Here is a full list of what we have on this summer to help you with your training
- Summer Running Classes
- Half Marathon Workshop
- First Time Marathon Training Programme
- Improvers Marathon Training Programme
- Beginners Running Classes
- Improvers Running Classes
- Running Technique Workshops
- Running Holiday to Cliffs of Moher in August
- Private Coaching Sessions (in Person or Online) with Mary
All the details are up on our website.
Whatever it is you are aiming for this summer, make sure you train right for it and you will enjoy the day so much more.
If you have any questions about training for an event, please send an email.