Your triceps are the muscles at the top back of your arms. We will show you 3 variations on this exercise to help you strengthen and tone these muscles. Some of you may also have referred to your triceps as your ‘bingo wings’!
Level 1 – Knees Bent
Have a look at our Tricep Dip video here which talks you through all the instructions.
Step by Step (see video)
- Start by sitting on a secure bench or chair
- Place your hands on the bench by your side Place your feet flat on the floor
- Lift yourself off the bench pushing through the palms of your hands and your feet
- Ensure your knees are above your ankles
- Slowly bend your elbows to lower body
- Ensuring not to go down so low that you end up putting pressure on your shoulders
- Straighten the elbows back up and repeat
- Keep your body in tight with the bench at all times
Aim for 1 minute of tricep dips, taking breaks as you need them.
Level 2 – Legs Extended
Only when you are comfortable with 1 minute of Level 1 should you move to Level 2.
Have a look at the Tricep Dips Level 2 video to guide you through here.
Step by Step (video)
- As with Level 1, start sitting on the bench
- Place hands by your side palms down on the bench.
- Position your legs out in front toes pointed to the sky
- Keep your knees soft and not locked out.
- Lift your body off the bench pushing through the palms of your hand and your heels.
- Bend your elbows out behind and lower your body down
- Straighten elbows to bring yourself back up.
Level 3 – Bonus extra – One legged Tricep Dips
Starting as you would with level 1 placing your feet flat on the ground knees bent
Now stretch one leg out in front so you are balanced on one leg with both knees together.
Bend your elbows to lower yourself down and straighten them to bring yourself back up.
30 seconds on one leg, then switch to the other.
Tricep Dip Tips
Remember your shouldn’t feel this in your shoulders or back it’s the upper arms you are working.
If you are feeling it in the shoulders then don’t drop down so low.
Keep the core engaged and your back tight with the bench.
Don’t lift your hips when you raise your body up.
Best of luck – if you need additional support, be sure to follow our daily challenge page
Make sure you have your doctors approval to start any new exercise routine. If you feel any pain when doing the exercise, please stop immediately. Correct form is important, so be sure to follow the tips and hints.
Before embarking on this or any other exercise programme you should consult with your doctor. By participating in the programme you acknowledge that ForgetTheGym or their agents cannot be held liable for any injuries or other problems that may occur as a result.